Why hello, blog friends!
What a fun-filled, crazy, exhausting weekend. I’m sorry to take so long to post a recap, but I was literally a comatose zombie yesterday when I returned home!
OK – so I’ll go ahead and start with how I did at the competition: I placed 4th in my category!
This was totally shocking to me – I did not expect to even be in the top 10 at my first show, much less a large show like this one. When they called my name, I thought for sure they made a mistake. But I feel so happy that my hard work towards my goal paid off – I did it!
I could absolutely write an entire week’s worth of blog posts about this experience – there were so many highs and lows and bizarre things that happened that I can’t even begin to sum it up in just a couple of paragraphs. But here are a few highlights for you!
- Meeting Cathy Savage and my coach Brooke Nicole was such a highlight of the weekend! On Friday evening, we had a check-in session with the coaches and Cathy where we showed them how we looked in our suits and our sportswear. I was so excited to meet Cathy that I came up to her and gave her a big hug and gushed over how happy I was to meet her “in real life.” And Cathy, being her typical no-nonsense awesome self just said, “I know who you are honey! I feel like I’ve known you forever!” LOVE her, seriously 🙂
- After the check ins, we had a team meeting where each coach from the Savage team had a chance to say a thing or two about what to expect for the weekend, how to get the most out of the experience, and other words of wisdom. It was such a treat to hear straight from the mouths of these amazing women who are at the top of their game. They have such a grounded perspective about everything they do – they are smart, beautiful, fun, fearless women and I aspire to be more like them.
- I connected with SO many gorgeous, talented girls! I mean seriously – these girls are top of the top. Gorgeous and successful and funny and brilliant – what an honor to be in the company of chicks like these!
- I realized right before I stepped out on stage that this was my chance to HAVE FUN, so I should relax and not take it too seriously! So – that’s what I did! And it was a blast!
- I ran into a little bit of a situation with my hotel room after the show, and (long story short) my exhausted, hungry self suddenly found herself without a place to stay for the night. I was way too tired to drive 6 hours back to Philly at that point (it was about midnight!) and the rooms at the casino are around $700/night which I totally could not afford. But amazingly, a guardian angel (who shall remain nameless) appeared and saved the day. I ended up in the most gorgeous suite at the hotel and needless to say, I will always thank my lucky stars for this amazing person who came to my rescue Saturday night.
- For all of my doubts that I’d be “ready” for the show, everything came together quite nicely! I woke up on Saturday ready for the competition and feeling lean and healthy and in the best shape possible.
- Let’s face it – I looked like a drag queen in my stage makeup! Hilarious, but I know I was frightening some of the patrons of the casino.
- The diet was brutal the last day: the minimal water intake and small portions of tilapia and asparagus eaten out of a plastic baggy was making me hangry (hungry + angry).
- I realized the hard way that generosity and kindness are not always others’ first priorities. And the “mean girls” you remember from middle school are, quite often, still “mean girls” when they are all grown up.
- The show involved a lot of waiting….waiting….waiting….and more waiting. Not fun when you’re standing around in 5″ heels and a tan that can’t touch anything for risk of ruining it!
- I got about 4 hours of sleep the entire weekend – which left me feeling like such a total zombie! Ick!
- It takes a really long time to scrub off 4 layers of tanner (still working on that) 😉
- It was hard to be at the show by myself without my husband or family and friends as a support system.
My take on the show:
I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything. I learned so many valuable lessons, met so many wonderful people, and felt so proud that the judges could see all of my hard work in my physique and happy attitude. The support from Cathy Savage Fitness is without equal, and I feel truly blessed to be part of the sisterhood.
Everyone wants to know if I’ll do another competition. My answer right now is…maybe?? I’m on the fence about it. I really did have a fantastic time and it was so awesome to work towards that lofty goal – now of course I want to improve even more! But for right now, I’m still thinking it over and processing all of the emotions of the weekend.
My next mini goal is to stay in rockin’ bikini shape until my vacation in a few weeks! And then – I’ll set another mini goal so I continue to have something to work towards and I’ll keep my booty in shape. So – stay tuned! Who knows what the future may hold?
Wanna see pics from my weekend?? Click here for the gallery of photos!